Silver and bronze medals at Tokyo2020 capped off what has been a meteoric rise for America’s Katie Zaferes. Selected to compete at the Rio Olympics in 2016 after just three years in the sport, the childhood swim and track star went on to completely dominate the Super League Triathlon series before victory in the 2019 ITU Grand Final in Lausanne sealed the world championship title. All that success has been underpinned by a relentless focus and determination. Finishing the 2015 season in fifth place in the world rankings, Zaferes ended the following seasons in 4th, 3rd and 2nd before finally taking the crown – a true Pho3nix story.
- Silver and Bronze Tokyo2020
- Triathlon world champion 2019
- Gold, Grand Final Lausanne 2019
- Super League Triathlon overall champion 2018-2019
- Silver, WTS rankings 2018
- 23x ITU World Triathlon Series medalist (6 golds, 10 silvers, 7 bronzes)
- 5x ITU Triathlon World Cup medalist (4 golds, 1 silver)
- 18th, Rio Olympic Games 2016
Bronze, Mixed Relay world championship 2018
- Silver, Mixed Relay world championship 2017
- USA Triathlon Elite Rookie of the Year 2013
- USA Triathlon Super Sprint Series – Fearless Pro Champion 2013
Interesting fact: Katie decided to defer her University application to learn teaching when she was invited to the Olympic Training Centre in Colorado Springs. Four years later she was an Olympian and ranked in the world’s top 5.